McMaster Carr bitch.
"Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
2008-03-27 12:18:48 UTC
Well, just when you thought you heard it all.....

I sent in a request for the 2008 McMaster Carr catalog as they added a
lot and they are close to my shop. I have been a loyal customer since I
started in the business about 15 years back.

On to the letter I got in the mail yesterday stating that "Due to a
limited supply of catalogs we are unable to send you one....etc...please use
online ordering"

Well, I had a $4,633.22 order that I needed to place immediately and used
the 07 book to compile the order and I called the person who sent the
letter. A Ms. Shadi Kerwish and mentioned the order and she got all happy--
and I said that I will NEVER give them another dime of my company or
personal money if this is how they wish to treat customers who need a road
book or catalog. I told her that Grainger, Fastenal, Lawson all had
accommodating pallets full of catalogs and that the order was going to be
placed with Grainger as I had the catalog in hand, and saw what I needed and
so did my client.
If they want to cut corners, they can cut customers too. I took this as a
personal insult and I thought I would post this and see if any of you got
the same treatment. Never again....... Last year I did close to 25k in
business with them. Gone due to one sales person or penny-pincher who can't
even spring for a catalog.
On to a fresh note, Fastenal actually sent a rep to my shop and discussed
my needs. I showed him my parts ledgers and we worked out a fair price
margin on the spot with guaranteed free delivery via local truck. Grainger
has always been a pleasure to deal with and between them and Fastenal I see
a lot more of my business going there. I also plan on calling the president
of sales and making a very vocal complaint about this entire joke of a
letter. If my money is not welcome from ordering from your catalog- kiss my
ass.

Venting.....

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
2008-03-27 12:34:16 UTC
Post by "Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
I sent in a request for the 2008 McMaster Carr catalog as they added a
lot and they are close to my shop. I have been a loyal customer since
I started in the business about 15 years back.
On to the letter I got in the mail yesterday stating that "Due to a
limited supply of catalogs we are unable to send you
one....etc...please use online ordering"
Rob, don't shoot yourself in the foot just because of ONE customer
service fuck-up. You know as well as I do that they're just about the
best company around in terms of customer service. If they screw up,
they'll fix it.

But saying you'll never do business with them again after only one
problem is kind of like saying you'll never eat anything again because
Motts put too much sugar in this month's batch of applesauce.

There's got to be some reason you didn't automatically receive a catalog
-- we did, and we didn't do as much business with them as you did.

Also... did they say you'll _never_ get a catalog, or just that they were
out right now? They print them more often than just once a year.

LLoyd
"Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
2008-03-27 12:43:29 UTC
Post by Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
[...]
Lloyd,

I called and they have them. They offered "now" to send it and I told them
to keep it and look at my order history. The lady was a total bitch and I'm
going to go to the top to make sure my complaint is heard. She said "just
use the internet" my retort- "how do you show a client a part when you are
in the field and have no internet?" dead silence....
I work hard for my money and I expect no, demand my vendors do the
same. If this is the cost cutting they were rumbling about I don't need the
headache. Grainger is getting a lot bigger and better with odd-balls and
there is one about a mile from me and they deliver when I'm in a pinch.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.
Ignoramus17842
2008-03-27 13:12:37 UTC
Rob, my impression from Grainger is that they do not have the same
stuff as McMaster. They are not really an alternative to McMaster, any
more than Home Depot is an alternative to Walgreens pharmacy. Is that
wrong?

Pete C.
2008-03-27 13:43:27 UTC
Post by Ignoramus17842
Rob, my impression from Grainger is that they do not have the same
stuff as McMaster. They are not really an alternative to McMaster, any
more than Home Depot is an alternative to Walgreens pharmacy. Is that
wrong?
From what I've seen dealing with both, Grainger carries a small subset
of that McMaster carries. If what you need is mostly industrial /
commercial maintenance products, Grainger is probably fine.
Ignoramus17842
2008-03-27 15:03:58 UTC
Post by Pete C.
Post by Ignoramus17842
Rob, my impression from Grainger is that they do not have the same
stuff as McMaster. They are not really an alternative to McMaster, any
more than Home Depot is an alternative to Walgreens pharmacy. Is that
wrong?
From what I've seen dealing with both, Grainger carries a small subset
of that McMaster carries. If what you need is mostly industrial /
commercial maintenance products, Grainger is probably fine.
That's my impression as well.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
2008-03-27 15:15:02 UTC
Post by Ignoramus17842
Post by Pete C.
From what I've seen dealing with both, Grainger carries a small subset
of that McMaster carries. If what you need is mostly industrial /
commercial maintenance products, Grainger is probably fine.
That's my impression as well.
Grainger has recently gotten into the raw materials business, also. They
are suffering from the fact that MSC and McMaster both sell all the same
stuff as Grainger, but Grainger didn't carry all the itsies the other two
do.

About the only thing I think Grainger is really superior on is electrical
and HVAC components.

LLoyd
"Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
2008-03-28 12:44:00 UTC
Post by Ignoramus17842
Rob, my impression from Grainger is that they do not have the same
stuff as McMaster. They are not really an alternative to McMaster, any
more than Home Depot is an alternative to Walgreens pharmacy. Is that
wrong?
Iggy,

As a friend, I must disagree with you on this one. McMaster is not all
that..... If I need a pressure hose. Joliet pump is right down the street.
if I need a nut or bolt I have Bris and Fastenal, If I need a gauge or odd
fitting, Grainger is within walking distance on a nice day when I need some
down time. I have a short Russian temper. And Grainer has a "headache and
cold remedy rack" on the counter like you would see in a gas station. No
joke..... Stop out there with me some day and I'll have the manager give you
the same tour I got. It's better than a strip bar.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.
Ignoramus17370
2008-03-28 17:09:01 UTC
Post by Ignoramus17842
Rob, my impression from Grainger is that they do not have the same
stuff as McMaster. They are not really an alternative to McMaster, any
more than Home Depot is an alternative to Walgreens pharmacy. Is that
wrong?
Iggy,
As a friend, I must disagree with you on this one. McMaster is not all
that..... If I need a pressure hose. Joliet pump is right down the street.
if I need a nut or bolt I have Bris and Fastenal, If I need a gauge or odd
fitting, Grainger is within walking distance on a nice day when I need some
down time. I have a short Russian temper. And Grainer has a "headache and
cold remedy rack" on the counter like you would see in a gas station. No
joke..... Stop out there with me some day and I'll have the manager give you
the same tour I got. It's better than a strip bar.
Thanks Rob. One day I will go. I have a McMaster account, but I have
Grainger just 2 miles from home. If they can serve little guys like
me, (with a S corp) I will be interested,.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
2008-03-28 17:19:36 UTC
Post by Ignoramus17370
Thanks Rob. One day I will go. I have a McMaster account, but I have
Grainger just 2 miles from home. If they can serve little guys like
me, (with a S corp) I will be interested,.
Most Grainger stores won't deal with you unless you can present a business
license or permit on your first visit. They are strictly wholesale. A few
stores do "under the table" retail transactions, when they know the
tradesmen they're dealing with.

LLoyd
"Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
2008-03-28 17:26:01 UTC
Post by Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Post by Ignoramus17370
Thanks Rob. One day I will go. I have a McMaster account, but I have
Grainger just 2 miles from home. If they can serve little guys like
me, (with a S corp) I will be interested,.
Most Grainger stores won't deal with you unless you can present a business
license or permit on your first visit. They are strictly wholesale. A few
stores do "under the table" retail transactions, when they know the
tradesmen they're dealing with.
LLoyd
Lloyd
That is simply not true. I send people there all the time and they never
have problems. I may be elsewhere but all the stores I have been in and it's
a lot traveling on the racing circuit reinforces my retort.

Respects,

Chicago, IL.
Maxwell
2008-03-28 18:07:37 UTC
Post by Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Post by Ignoramus17370
Thanks Rob. One day I will go. I have a McMaster account, but I have
Grainger just 2 miles from home. If they can serve little guys like
me, (with a S corp) I will be interested,.
Most Grainger stores won't deal with you unless you can present a business
license or permit on your first visit. They are strictly wholesale. A few
stores do "under the table" retail transactions, when they know the
tradesmen they're dealing with.
LLoyd
Lloyd
That is simply not true. I send people there all the time and they never
have problems. I may be elsewhere but all the stores I have been in and
it's a lot traveling on the racing circuit reinforces my retort.
Respects,
Rob Fraser
Grainger's used to be real anal about this when I first started dealing with
them 30 years ago, but I think it has slowly changed over the years.
Especially in the past 10 years or so. Seems like when I first started with
them, they didn't even want to take cash. They wanted everyone to just
charge things.

Perhaps the proliferation of Visa and MasterCard transactions have helped
slowly change their policies.
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
2008-03-28 18:27:29 UTC
Post by "Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
Lloyd
That is simply not true. I send people there all the time and they never
have problems. I may be elsewhere but all the stores I have been in
and it's a lot traveling on the racing circuit reinforces my retort.
Rob, you sure do wrap things in big blankets, bud.

It most certainly IS true in this part of the country.

Why couldn't you have simply said, "They don't do that at the Graingers
I've used."?

They will ship to anyone who buys online, though. I've never quite
figured out why they'd enforce a policy in the stores that they don't
enforce online.

LLoyd
"Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
2008-03-28 18:39:20 UTC
Post by Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Post by "Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
Lloyd
That is simply not true. I send people there all the time and they never
have problems. I may be elsewhere but all the stores I have been in
and it's a lot traveling on the racing circuit reinforces my retort.
Rob, you sure do wrap things in big blankets, bud.
It most certainly IS true in this part of the country.
Why couldn't you have simply said, "They don't do that at the Graingers
I've used."?
They will ship to anyone who buys online, though. I've never quite
figured out why they'd enforce a policy in the stores that they don't
enforce online.
LLoyd
Guilty...... I have never had a problem or heard of one. Did they not have a
retail section or some other thing? I mean when I was on the racing circuit
and needed say, a pressure gauge I just paid cash at the counter and that
was CO. I have been all over the U.S. and hit a lot of them but never had a
problem with cash and not even mentioning that I had an active account. *I
will now given the price break thanks to McMaster's disaster*

Rob
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
2008-03-28 19:23:09 UTC
Post by "Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
I have been all over the U.S. and hit a
lot of them but never had a problem with cash and not even mentioning
that I had an active account. *I will now given the price break thanks
to McMaster's disaster*
Rob, one of the things I've noticed is, if you come in with a logo'd
shirt, they don't even ask. But just so you understand, they've always
accepted cash, checks, cards at the will-call counter. They just refused
to sell to non-business customers, and retail walk-ins.

As recently as six months ago, I had a non-business friend turned away at
the Daytona store for a pool pump motor replacement. I figure certainly
you've dealt with the Daytona branch before. At least the last time I
was physically in the store, they had a sign on the front door that said,
"wholesale only".

Yet, they don't ask anything about business affiliations on the web site,
and the prices are the same or lower. And instead of those goofy flyer
sales on things nobody would buy anyway, they offer regular specials on
all sorts of common gear.

LLoyd
Richard J Kinch
2008-03-28 23:47:02 UTC
Post by Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
It most certainly IS true in this part of the country.
There was a period in the late 1990s dot-com euphoria, when Granger's
Web site was new, that they granted new accounts to anyone over the Web,
even though applying in-person would be rejected without a state sales
tax resale certificate or trade license. This was one of those things
that made it seem like the Internet was really going to change the
world! But I suppose that aspect of the bubble has long ago burst along
with the rest of the bubble.

I suspect Grainger's main motivation for the "no retail" pretension is
to fulfill tradesmen's expectations that they have privileged sources
for things that their customer's can't get. It adds a kind of value to
their merchandise if sales are restricted, since you then as a tradesman
can inflict yet another middleman retail markup on your helpless
customers.

An example would be an HVAC contactor that everybody in Florida needs
every once in a while on their A/C compressor. You won't find it at
Home Depot or Lowes, and its the kind of thing that Grainger excels at.
A repair that a knowledgeable DIYer could handle is thus turned into a
$200 service call.

Of course Graingers sells "wholesale" contactors at about 4X the actual
wholesale price. More like retail to the can't-be-bothered trade.

They also do a major business with government and schools, which are
worse than DIYers when comes to misusing parts.
DoN. Nichols
2008-03-29 03:14:20 UTC
Post by Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Post by Ignoramus17370
Thanks Rob. One day I will go. I have a McMaster account, but I have
Grainger just 2 miles from home. If they can serve little guys like
me, (with a S corp) I will be interested,.
Most Grainger stores won't deal with you unless you can present a business
license or permit on your first visit. They are strictly wholesale. A
[ ... ]
Post by "Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
That is simply not true. I send people there all the time and they never
have problems. I may be elsewhere but all the stores I have been in and it's
a lot traveling on the racing circuit reinforces my retort.
They have refused to do business with me as an individual. They
said that if I could show a business card or a business license, they
could then deal with me. Since MSC happily ships to me (typical next
day arrival), and ships a massive catalog every year (plus the monthly
flyers) I figure that I can do without the hassle of a company which
makes such demands to get my business. FWIW, this is in Northern VA.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: <***@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
RoyJ
2008-03-29 03:23:56 UTC
What's wrong with going to the local print shop and doing up some
business cards? "Don Nichols Construction Services" out to do the trick.
$20 or so, they come in handy for buying stuff when it's over priced.
Just give them your card with a 'call me if it doesn't sell'.
DoN.
DoN. Nichols
2008-03-29 05:31:22 UTC
Post by RoyJ
What's wrong with going to the local print shop and doing up some
business cards? "Don Nichols Construction Services" out to do the trick.
$20 or so, they come in handy for buying stuff when it's over priced.
Just give them your card with a 'call me if it doesn't sell'.
Mostly because I don't like being a fake.

I guess that I could do some up as D and D Data, since we have
that as a company name -- from when we used to do address lists for
performers.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: <***@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Maxwell
2008-03-29 14:03:25 UTC
Post by DoN. Nichols
Post by RoyJ
What's wrong with going to the local print shop and doing up some
business cards? "Don Nichols Construction Services" out to do the trick.
$20 or so, they come in handy for buying stuff when it's over priced.
Just give them your card with a 'call me if it doesn't sell'.
Mostly because I don't like being a fake.
I guess that I could do some up as D and D Data, since we have
that as a company name -- from when we used to do address lists for
performers.
Or just do one card on the PC. I don't think they really car, as long as you
give them some excuse to see to you.
Gunner
2008-03-29 06:53:12 UTC
Post by RoyJ
What's wrong with going to the local print shop and doing up some
business cards? "Don Nichols Construction Services" out to do the trick.
$20 or so, they come in handy for buying stuff when it's over priced.
Just give them your card with a 'call me if it doesn't sell'.
http://www.vistaprint.com/

I highly recommend them. Tis where I get all my cards.

They spam me once a week with specials, but Ive got em on block..so I
never see the spam.

They have a very NIFTY online design center that allows you to design
your own cards, using their large! library of graphics or your own.

http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/gallery.aspx?g=9

The cards cost about $12 delivered for 250 and are on very nice card
stock.
They can print both sides. I let em put their free ad on the back,
makes a nice note area..good thinking on their part.

Gunner
Michael A. Terrell
2008-03-28 18:31:52 UTC
Post by Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Post by Ignoramus17370
Thanks Rob. One day I will go. I have a McMaster account, but I have
Grainger just 2 miles from home. If they can serve little guys like
me, (with a S corp) I will be interested,.
Most Grainger stores won't deal with you unless you can present a business
license or permit on your first visit. They are strictly wholesale. A few
stores do "under the table" retail transactions, when they know the
tradesmen they're dealing with.
Not the one near here. I walked in with a friend and they located an
oddball projector bulb he needed at another location, and sold it to
him. Prior to all the hurricanes a few years ago, they didn't, but they
said it that was because they didn't want to collect sales tax. All of
a sudden, they were getting hundreds of calls for 30 amp Hubbell twist
lock plug for backup generators, and they changed their policy. The
only place that carried at retail was getting a dozen a week, "So they
didn't get stuck with them".
--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Leon Fisk
2008-03-28 19:22:24 UTC
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:19:36 -0000, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
Post by Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Post by Ignoramus17370
Thanks Rob. One day I will go. I have a McMaster account, but I have
Grainger just 2 miles from home. If they can serve little guys like
me, (with a S corp) I will be interested,.
Most Grainger stores won't deal with you unless you can present a business
license or permit on your first visit. They are strictly wholesale. A few
stores do "under the table" retail transactions, when they know the
tradesmen they're dealing with.
LLoyd
I don't know about elsewhere, but here in Michigan if you
are a Michigan Farm Bureau member you can buy from Grainger
via a special account. I did this a couple times while I
still had FMB membership and the last time I checked this
was still valid.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email
Maxwell
2008-03-29 14:06:43 UTC
Post by Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Post by Ignoramus17370
Thanks Rob. One day I will go. I have a McMaster account, but I have
Grainger just 2 miles from home. If they can serve little guys like
me, (with a S corp) I will be interested,.
Most Grainger stores won't deal with you unless you can present a business
license or permit on your first visit. They are strictly wholesale. A few
stores do "under the table" retail transactions, when they know the
tradesmen they're dealing with.
LLoyd
I don't know about elsewhere, but here in Michigan if you
are a Michigan Farm Bureau member you can buy from Grainger
via a special account. I did this a couple times while I
still had FMB membership and the last time I checked this
was still valid.
I think many corporations arrange things like this. A good friend of mine
is retired from American Airlines, and can buy at their discount because of
AA purchasing arrangement with Grainger.
Stuart & Kathryn Fields
2008-03-28 23:02:53 UTC
Post by Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Post by Ignoramus17370
Thanks Rob. One day I will go. I have a McMaster account, but I have
Grainger just 2 miles from home. If they can serve little guys like
me, (with a S corp) I will be interested,.
Most Grainger stores won't deal with you unless you can present a business
license or permit on your first visit. They are strictly wholesale. A few
stores do "under the table" retail transactions, when they know the
tradesmen they're dealing with.
LLoyd
Whew at Grainger's "Wholesale" prices, who are their retailers? Must be
Snap On and Gucci.
"Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
2008-03-29 00:26:04 UTC
Post by Stuart & Kathryn Fields
Post by Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Post by Ignoramus17370
Thanks Rob. One day I will go. I have a McMaster account, but I have
Grainger just 2 miles from home. If they can serve little guys like
me, (with a S corp) I will be interested,.
Most Grainger stores won't deal with you unless you can present a business
license or permit on your first visit. They are strictly wholesale. A few
stores do "under the table" retail transactions, when they know the
tradesmen they're dealing with.
LLoyd
Whew at Grainger's "Wholesale" prices, who are their retailers? Must be
Snap On and Gucci.
HEY- You leave Snap-on alone!!! They rape me weekly and it's the one bill I
don't mind paying! :)

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.
Gunner
2008-03-29 06:44:57 UTC
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:02:53 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
Post by Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Post by Ignoramus17370
Thanks Rob. One day I will go. I have a McMaster account, but I have
Grainger just 2 miles from home. If they can serve little guys like
me, (with a S corp) I will be interested,.
Most Grainger stores won't deal with you unless you can present a business
license or permit on your first visit. They are strictly wholesale. A few
stores do "under the table" retail transactions, when they know the
tradesmen they're dealing with.
LLoyd
Whew at Grainger's "Wholesale" prices, who are their retailers? Must be
Snap On and Gucci.
Indeed.

I seldom shop at Graingers for much of anything. I find Ace Hardware
to be cheaper...cringe....

Gunner
William Noble
2008-03-29 06:26:10 UTC
Post by Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Most Grainger stores won't deal with you unless you can present a business
license or permit on your first visit. They are strictly wholesale. A few
stores do "under the table" retail transactions, when they know the
tradesmen they're dealing with.
LLoyd
Nonsense - go to their web site, create an internet account, place your
order for pickup at the store, PRINT OUT YOUR ORDER CONFIRMATION (or they
can't find it) and go in - the last time I did this (a bit over a week ago),
I forgot the internet order number, so they just created a temporary
"courtesy account" for me and gave me my stuff
"Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
2008-03-28 17:21:11 UTC
Post by Ignoramus17842
[...]
They will indeed set you up. Surprising they really do go out of the way to
gather clients. All the crazy stuff you build they would be a blessing to
you!!!!

Rob
David Merrill
2008-03-27 14:41:50 UTC
Apparently a long standing complaint against McMaster-Carr; see the
following Google Groups search.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&q=McMaster+Carr+catalog&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wg

If this is a question of company policy, perhaps a letter to the CEO (Chief
Executive Officer) would be more effective than one to the sales executive.
Here is a place to get the CEO's contact information.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/135/135634.html

David Merrill
Chicago, IL.
David Courtney
2008-03-27 17:02:33 UTC
I think it's just a different corporate "marketing philosophy".
Did you ever notice that you don't get the "weekly specials" flyers and
mini-catalogs for McMaster-Carr like you do from MSC or Grainger?
"Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>

Chicago, IL.
Maxwell
2008-03-27 16:41:16 UTC
[...]
Hey Rob,

I understand your frustration but try see their point as well. Catalogs of
this caliber are not cheap, and EVERYONE wants one, including people that
will never spend a dime. We used to have them stolen from work all the time,
just because everyone and his brother wanted a personal copy at home. I'm
sure their sales team is coached often on the cost of these things, and the
importance of not passing them around like cheap ink pens. Sounds like you
might have ran head on, with a clueless newbie.

Considering the size of your account with them, I would recommend calling an
asking if a specific person was assigned to your account or district. If so,
then ask for them. Either way, tell them how long you have been a customer,
and how much you usually spend, and explain that you have been refused a
catalog. Considering the size of your current order, I wouldn't be surprised
if they sent you two. Don't gamble on letting some air head that's probably
new and clueless, cause you to make a business decision that might cost you
time and money in the future. If this doesn't work, then take time to vent
to the CEO's office.

Good luck, hope you can work it out.
Ignoramus17842
2008-03-27 17:15:23 UTC
Maxwell has a good point. I would just write a postal letter to
McMaster Carr.

Bob F
2008-03-27 18:31:05 UTC
[...]
I try to make a point of notifying management at businesses when I have a
problem, with the thought that it not only gives them a chance to satisfy me, it
gives them a chance to avoid offending other customers, and a chance to save
their business - if they care. If everyone did the same, many businesses would
have the chance to keep customers satisfied, and stay successful longer. If they
have a problem employee, don't you think they would like to know?
Paul K. Dickman
2008-03-27 18:34:17 UTC
Post by "Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
Well, just when you thought you heard it all.....
I sent in a request for the 2008 McMaster Carr catalog as they added a
lot and they are close to my shop. I have been a loyal customer since I
started in the business about 15 years back.
On to the letter I got in the mail yesterday stating that "Due to a
limited supply of catalogs we are unable to send you one....etc...please
use online ordering"
Rob Fraser
Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.
Frankly, I have a problem getting rid of their catalogs.

Thirty years ago, I was building kilns in a pole barn in southern Illinois.
I got the same response from them you had.

Fast forward to ten years ago. I ordered online from them and checked the
box for open account.
They gave me an account, no problem. After several months of small orders
($100 a month) and paying promptly, I got a catalog shipped to me without
asking. They've shipped me a new one every year.

Having been trained by my earlier experience, I can't bring myself to pitch
them out.
I usually have three or four of them around at any point in time.

Paul K. Dickman
Leo Lichtman
2008-03-27 19:34:29 UTC
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote: Frankly, I have a problem getting rid of their
catalogs. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You could send one to Bob Frazer <G>
Richard J Kinch
2008-03-27 21:23:49 UTC
Post by "Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
I also plan on calling the president
of sales and making a very vocal complaint about this entire joke of a
letter.
There's your trouble.

Men make the stuff.

Men make the paper catalog that displays the stuff.

But women somehow were given the the task of deciding who gets the catalog,
and they guard them as if it were their feminine charms. You have to court
them for it, they will be coy about giving it up, but eventually there will
be successful suitors, yet seemingly at random to the male mind.
Carl Ijames
2008-03-28 00:29:03 UTC
Rob, this has always been the "problem" with McMaster Carr. There is no
rhyme or reason to who they would send a catalog to. We do maybe
$10-15K per year at work with them and got one catalog out of the blue a
few years ago, while a friend who bought one fitting gets a catalog a
year. I'm not excusing them, just letting you know that this has been a
long-standing issue of theirs.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net
(remove nospm or make the obvious changes before replying)
Winston
2008-03-27 21:31:58 UTC
Post by "Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
Well, just when you thought you heard it all.....
But Rob, you *hadn't* heard it all.

Lemme axe you a question:
When was the last time McMaster or any other vendor *refused to sell* you an in-stock item?

Happened to me about half an hour ago at a Grainger store.

The droid behind the counter explained that he couldn't sell me brake cleaner because it
was hazmat and I didn't have a business license. WTF??

*Now* you've heard it all.

--Winston
r***@gmail.com
2008-03-28 01:23:17 UTC
On Mar 27, 8:18 am, "Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
          Venting.....
                       Rob Fraser
It's important to go into these situations with a hot head, ready to
kick in some skull. There's no room for a cool attitude or a hint of
understanding/tolerance when dealing with your suppliers (much less
your customers), or indeed any facet of civilized society.

I can tell you from first hand experience that you're far more likely
to get what you want when you raise your voice, start spitting into
the phone receiver, or better yet, insulting someone's loved ones.

You've nailed it Rob. If everyone acted on a combination of bad faith
and the temporary shot of adrenaline coarsing through their veins, I'd
be teleporting to work tomorrow (without a cold).

Regards,

Robin
"Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net>
2008-03-28 12:31:19 UTC
Well,

Here is where I stand. I showed the letter to both Fastenal and Grainger
in separate meetings yesterday and lobbied that given a better price margin
I would not do business with McMaster Carr over this insult. As a result.
BOTH competitors have lowered my total costing and lowered my margins to
gain the influx and were very, very eager to pick up the business that has
been lost to McMaster Carr. My profit margins have now greatly improved and
I have one less headache in my life. I flat out refuse to run a business and
be told something as ridiculous as "you can't have a catalog" The winning
point is now that both Grainger and Fastenal have given me better pricing I
would have no use for McMaster anyhow. They offered no break at all
historically. So I guess this stupid bitch that sent the letter actually
helped my business by hurting theirs. Ironic is it not?
There has never been any thing that they offered that I could not find
elsewhere for the scope of my industry needs anyway. That letter to the CEO
is in draft and I assure you it is scathing to say the least. I guess one
person can make a difference. At least I have her name so I never hire her
for the office once McMaster fires her for her stupidity. In the last 5
years (the purge from SAP) indicated I spent about 60k with them as a
correction to my original figure. That letter is GOLD when presented to a
competitor (who were both stupefied and left shaking their heads when
presented with it). As for the Walgreen's reference it does not apply. I
have other shops and vendors in the area anyhow. I lost nothing by ditching
them as a vendor.

Robin
Drew McEachren
2008-03-31 06:41:05 UTC
Amen Mr. Fraser:

I own and operate a fab shop, and as you stated before "I work hard for
my money/customers and I expect/demand the same from my vendors. I have had
the same feeling as you about McMaster Carr for quite awhile. FUCK THEM. I
have suppliers with whom I do similar volumes (some more, some less) as you
mention and if I ever came across the attitude that you speak of, I am more
than happy to cut them free. Like you say; if their piss poor attitudes
unwittingly give you better advantages towards your bottom line via their
competitors, then boo hoo for them. It's just good business. Come to think
of it, I actually won't deal with a local supplier that is unwilling to send
an outside/industrial sales rep to my premises regularly. I don't have time
to be constantly running out for this and that. Deliver it, deliver it now,
and deliver it free. Thank you very much; in return I will pay my bill on
time, and continue to do business with you. Everyone happy? Good.

As for the letter to the CEO, why waste your time and raise your blood
pressure even more. You, I believe have gotten your satisfaction by
shouting at that dumb bitch, (don't get me wrong, I like to kill the
messenger too!) and in turn relieved them of minimum $10K annually. In
addition, you have also advertised for them on this forum (as well as other
places I'm sure). How does that saying go? Something about pissed off
people talking to lots of others!!!! Another satisfying thought...... When
you get their catalog, you can use it for reference, and then order from
Grainger, Fastenal, etc. Plus, your local reps now know that you will not
tolerate bullshit from them or their companies, and have seen first hand the
result of it.

I am sure that there are many differing opinions, especially from people
that are strictly retail purchasers. The beauty of a capitalist system is
that there is an end user/purchaser for everything, and if I am a business
that somewhere along the way handles, modifies, manufactures goods or
materials, I am entitled to my cut. You don't piss and moan about it, just
find a way to make it work in your favor. If you can't, it is your own
problem, move aside or be crushed under the wheels of the machine that we
have all created.

In closing, I would like to say (and I am sure you can agree) that there
is a certain satisfaction in 'going into these situations with a hot head,
ready to kick in some skull'. If I'm kept happy, I have a real cool
attitude and can be quite understanding and tolerant when dealing with my
suppliers.

Drew
Chicago, IL.
fscang