I JUST GOT A LINCOLN SP-100
c***@webtv.net
2004-08-23 01:24:29 UTC
I WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU GUYS OUT THERE HAVE ONE, IF SO WHATS
PRO'S AND CONS HOW THICK OF METAL HAVE YOU WELDED , CAN I EXPECT A
PRETTY DECENT QUILITY WELD I'M USE TO BIG FACTORY WELDERS SPRAY ECT.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT. OH YA ONLY GAVE 100.00 FOR IT
LIKE NEW
acrobat-ants
2004-08-23 02:58:42 UTC
SP 100 ? isn't that a flux core only machine ?
$100 was not a bad deal .
what are you wanting to weld ?
LIKE NEW
c***@webtv.net
2004-08-23 06:22:22 UTC
It said it welds ss,mig,alum,flux no i figure i didn't get hurt to bad
i found lincoln electric had refurbished one's for 370.00, like to know
how much when new i tried it out for a few, no argon yet innersheild
fluxcore did't get very far becaus spit-n-sputter wire kept jamming in
tip must be pretty good welder though for110 becaus inside panel it says
5/16" thick metal ,had a buddy who said he welded butt weld 1/2" thick
stringer beads all the time on stuff said he even pulled bend test
could'nt break it,5/16 thick,be nice if true but you know how some
people streatch the truth a bit, well turning in for the night,
if anybodys got any info or input on this welder would sure apprissiat
it thanks"""
jimmy hall
2015-12-15 04:18:01 UTC
Post by c***@webtv.net
It said it welds ss,mig,alum,flux no i figure i didn't get hurt to bad
i found lincoln electric had refurbished one's for 370.00, like to know
how much when new i tried it out for a few, no argon yet innersheild
fluxcore did't get very far becaus spit-n-sputter wire kept jamming in
tip must be pretty good welder though for110 becaus inside panel it says
5/16" thick metal ,had a buddy who said he welded butt weld 1/2" thick
stringer beads all the time on stuff said he even pulled bend test
could'nt break it,5/16 thick,be nice if true but you know how some
people streatch the truth a bit, well turning in for the night,
if anybodys got any info or input on this welder would sure apprissiat
it thanks"""
I have had my Lincoln SP 100 for 15 years and it came with the gas bottle
regulators. I don't know what someone is saying that it can't be used with
gas. I usually use .023 wire but also use .035 wire and have excellent
results with either. I asked about buying the spool for welding aluminum
and was told it didn't have the power to really weld aluminum so I don't
do that but have welded stuff over 1/2" think just take it in layers and
have never had bad results. I have the tips that press into the stinger
instead of thread into them like some of the newer models and that is
where I am now looking for a conversion kit to replace the stinger so it
will use the threaded tips as I can not get the old ones anymore.
--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/welding/i-just-got-a-lincoln-sp-100-32770-.htm
sci.engr.joining.welding and other engineering groups
Thomas
2004-08-23 05:39:25 UTC
That welder is only a flux core machine, it also cannot be converted to a
gas welder at all. It is a good machine though as you can do some pretty
good welds with it even outside in the winds. You should be able to do
decent welds even up to approx. 1/4 inch metals but would be much better on
.100 wall steels. Not the greatest for galvanized metal though. For heavier
metals go to a gas welder that pushes out 135 amp. minimum. I will soon have
a web page that tells you everything about all welders and what they are
capable of doing at what amps and volts, as well what metals and
thicknesses. As well as mig, tig, stick and torch use. I have been a welder
now since 1973 and have had different tickets since. I have done stick
welding on as fine a material as 20guage all the way up to 3" plate. I have
taken boilermaker welding as well as pressure welding. I now own a small
company in Saskatchewan Saskatchewan Canada called THOMAS' Wrought Iron
LIKE NEW
c***@webtv.net
2004-08-23 06:39:11 UTC
is there diferant versians because mine has factory hook up in back for
gas and chart inside says argon and co'2 have every thing with it but
bottle' got me puzzled now???????
c***@webtv.net
2004-08-23 07:37:45 UTC
hey guys told you sp-100 well got to looking its a sp-100t mabe thats
why its got the extra's
Thomas
2004-08-23 09:07:47 UTC
OK, sorry about that and yes there is different versions. Some of them also
say gas but do not come with the hookups on them, good luck finding the
hookups for them also. On the ones that do have the line on the back, you
still have to buy the guages and tanks, which are not all that cheap. The
gasses to use are at most suppliers in Canada and U.S.A.. For regular mig
welding, just use what is called mig mix at most of the suppliers. In Canada
I found the most reasonable priced shop was Acklands and there it is called
mig-mix-gold, as well as at Air Liquide. Setting the gas to aroud 10 is
usually the best as it makes your gas a lil bit longer and works perfect.
Some machines are around the 15 mark but playing with it helps as all guages
are not the same. As far as the line on the back of the welder, they are not
usually worth shit, so, make sure you turn off the tank after you are done
or goodbye gas when you come back in the morning or on some a few hours
later.
bottle' got me puzzled now???????
Hugh Prescott
2004-08-24 04:23:14 UTC
Just converted mine about a year ago. Got the kit from Home Despot as local
Lincoln dealer refused to even look up the price and available but "figured"
about $150 plus CO2 tank would do it.

HD was $92.

Our local HD no longer carries the kit as the current version comes
pre-installed but have a local farm & home chain that had them last week for
$95.

Best results with .025 wire when using CO2.

Hugh
bottle' got me puzzled now???????
average-nutjob-4sho
2023-04-10 04:33:07 UTC
hello ,,,,whoever wrote this reply, the sp-100 is not a flux core only, mine came with a gas solenoid so i am sure that if one does not have the gas solenoid it can be added easily.
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/welding/i-just-got-a-lincoln-sp-100-32770-.htm
Goober Pyle
2023-09-03 22:02:34 UTC
I think I've had my SP100 for three decades now. Still works fine, though I don't use it every day. I have CO2 tank/regulator and use .030 wire, and if the settings are correct, there is little spatter. I don't think you can weld over 3/16" unless you preheat. The weld may look good, but it's not going to have penetration. Once I did use it to reinforced a 2" hitch square tube to make it solid steel internally. That worked well, but only because I heated the metal to red hot first with a mapp gas torch. If the steel is red hot before you start the spark, you can do just about anything. That isn't practical for many jobs though
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/welding/i-just-got-a-lincoln-sp-100-32770-.htm
Keith Marshall
2004-08-23 15:00:40 UTC
The SP-100T is basically the same welder that Home Depot sells as the Weld
Pak 100HD:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Products_2%2fPower+Tools%2fWelding+%26+Soldering%2fWelders&BV_SessionID=@@@@1562190017.1093272208@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdeadcmgfidihjcgelceffdfgidgjl.0&MID=9876

And Lowes sells it as the Pro-Core 100:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=177705-1703-K2158-1

And Northern Tool & Equipment sells it as the 115 Weld-Pak:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&productId=9042&categoryId=765791

All 3 of those are the flux-core version and require a kit to use gas and
solid wire which you apparently already have. The gas-ready version is
probably still available but I'm not sure where.

Over the years that welder has been sold as several different models such as
the Weld-Pak 100 in a fluxcore version and the MIG-Pak 10 with the gas kit
included.

Realistically you can expect decent welds with gas on mild steel up to 1/8"
or 3/16" or so and with fluxcore you can probably do 3/16" or maybe 1/4".
I've seen two older models at auctions recently that had a continuously
variable voltage control but most of them, including the SP-100T (I believe
the T stands for "tap") have the 4 or 5 position voltage switch.

You can get complete specs from the Lincoln site at:

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e7220.pdf

and download an owner's manual if you don't already have one from:

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/navigator/im/IM564C.pdf

It includes a schematic and a basic how-to section.

You did good for $100!

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall
***@progressivelogic.com

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll
get run over if you just sit there."
- Will Rogers (1879-1935).
LIKE NEW
Thomas Kendrick
2004-08-24 01:09:47 UTC
My first welder was the SP-100 (without the T). I have only used it
for fluxcore, but it comes ready to add a flowmeter and gas. Of course
the polarity has to switch and change to solid wire.
I have always run 0.030 wire which is a bit hotter than gas shielded
which takes away some of the heat.
Works great for 1/8" or less. Beyond that, I go to the 200 amp stick
machine on DC.
LIKE NEW
acrobat-ants
2004-08-24 17:32:46 UTC
the SP 100, SP 135 are great fence building machines
being 110V, portable , fluxcore is all you need.
for a $100 you got a good deal !!!!
LIKE NEW
the hayseed
2014-08-21 03:18:02 UTC
Post by c***@webtv.net
I WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU GUYS OUT THERE HAVE ONE, IF SO WHATS
PRO'S AND CONS HOW THICK OF METAL HAVE YOU WELDED , CAN I EXPECT A
PRETTY DECENT QUILITY WELD I'M USE TO BIG FACTORY WELDERS SPRAY ECT.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT. OH YA ONLY GAVE 100.00 FOR IT
LIKE NEW
Yea I have an older sp-100 it's quite the wire feeder I thought when I
first got it it was set up with solid.030 wire and gas. The gas was empty
and it still threw a nicer bead than flux core.I've welded anything from
truck exaughst to water boiler water jackets have used it to weld half
inch but it was a corner fusion and although it works it isn't
economic.just got argon gas tank I'll let ya know how well it welds
aluminum,welds galvanized pretty decent also