Question about a Linde Utility Welder 230
k***@techemail.com
2007-09-07 16:43:23 UTC
Hello

I'm new to welding (teaching myself) and someone gave me a Linde
Utility Welder 230 but it has no cables/electrodes. Is their a
specific kind I need to get for this welder???

Thanks in advanced
kelmster
RoyJ
2007-09-08 00:55:40 UTC
What little I can find on the welder in question leads me to believe it
is a standard 230 amp output transformer (buzz box) unit. 240 volt/53
amp input.

If it has female jacks on the front panel, you will want to find
suitable male plugs. Unfortunately, there is no standard for these, you
will just have to try various plugs. If it has stud/lug connection, no
big deal. A 230 amp welder should have #2 cables if they are short (25'
or so) and larger if longer. Price of copper will cause heart failure
these days you may want to skimp and get #4. Most hobbyist welders never
run big rods so #4 may work fine for you. Get a 25' stinger lead, the
ground lead can be a bit shorter. Buy a rod holder and a ground clamp
and you are good to go.

I strongly recommend a beginner use some easy rod to get started. Pick
up a 10# package of 1/8" 6013 and burn lots of it on some clean scrap
stock. Start at about 110 amps (each welder is different so this is just
a starting point) Once you get beads where the slag lifts off in a neat
trail behind you, try the same with some 6011 (good for rusty/dirty steel)

Have fun!!
kelmster
Gene
2015-11-23 20:18:02 UTC
Post by RoyJ
[...]
Thank you so much. Also trying to find a copy of owners manual
--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/welding/question-about-a-linde-utility-welder-230-5346-.htm
sci.engr.joining.welding and other engineering groups
d***@krl.org
2015-11-24 01:51:03 UTC
Post by Gene
Thank you so much. Also trying to find a copy of owners manual
--
You might post where you are. There might be someone on this news group that is close to you and could help you get started. Learning to weld is mostly practice , but having some one to give you a couple of pointers would be helpful.

Dan
Shannon
2024-06-25 20:15:03 UTC
can you still get leads for these
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/welding/question-about-a-linde-utility-welder-230-5346-.htm
David Billington
2024-06-25 21:00:16 UTC
can you still get leads for these?
A quick look seems to show a quick connect but not enough detail to show
what type. Dinse are quite a common  fitting IME and readily available
from good welding suppliers and ebay. Make your own leads as they're
easy to fit and I've swapped some stud panel fittings for Dinse in the
past and they were a direct swap.
Jim Wilkins
2024-06-26 11:32:42 UTC
can you still get leads for these?
A quick look seems to show a quick connect but not enough detail to show
what type. Dinse are quite a common fitting IME and readily available
from good welding suppliers and ebay. Make your own leads as they're
easy to fit and I've swapped some stud panel fittings for Dinse in the
past and they were a direct swap.

------------------------------
https://dinse-us.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/07/DINSE_Plugs_Sockets_US.pdf

Dinse plugs are cylinders of 9mm, 13mm or 15mm diameter with a bayonet
locking lug that enters a slot which pix of the 230 don't show. If you
aren't comfortable removing a connector socket you could measure the hole as
accurately as possible, or shave down a wood dowel to a jam fit that shows
the (likely discolored) contact area and take it to the dealer as a sample.
Older plug types I've seen are a taper fit and split lengthwise for a spring
fit. I had to make brass plugs to match the taper fit.

This gives the size of the lead cables. It looks like #1 for high and #2 for
the low range only, 125 Amps has been enough for me to weld 1/2" steel plate
with 1/8" electrodes.
https://www.directwire.com/resources/welding-cable-ampacity-chart/

Good luck with it, the old Sears welder I bought from a roadie for $30 had
been patched with a steel connector panel that shorted the low winding, but
not all the magic smoke escaped and I could make it work again. The other
cheap welder I bought, a 50A buzz box, I turned into a high current battery
charger.